Friday, April 6, 2018

What piece of advice do you most often give and least often follow?


Advice: Easier said than followed.

In Shakespeare's play "The Merchant of Venice", the heroine Portia accurately said, “I can easier teach twenty what were good to be done, than be one of the twenty to follow mine own teaching." [Act1, Scene 2, Merchant of Venice]How easy it is to give advice, like a freely flowing river of thoughts from the mind but when it boils down to follow it, it seems like the last thing we'll ever do. It seems so simple to be a beacon light to guide others through a cave of hassle and equally easy to forget the way through the cavern.

          It's human tendency to meddle with everyone's lives with necessary or unnecessary suggestions but they themselves care the least about following what they preach. Just like I advise my brother, cousins and juniors about "NOT WASTING PRECIOUS TIME AND MANAGING TIME EFFECTIVELY" but my name graces the top position in the procrastinator list. I then realize, too late that Time slips away like grains of sand from one's hand. Elders often say, “Time and Tide wait for none".


           I repeat the same quote to give my juniors an excellent counsel and a lengthy lecture about the importance of effective time management but I fall short to realize its importance. That is why I stay up late at night to scurry over the syllabus and complete the assignment on time. It has had adverse effects on my health and time and again I rebuke myself for not heeding the advice I give to everyone. I even attempt to craft a timetable to organize my day’s schedule but that piece of paper is often discarded as I extend my five minute break into a full whooping hour, which wobbles the whole array of the things I’m supposed to do. I sincerely hope that one day I'm going to hear what my mind says and follow the advice for my own benefit. Maybe one fine day, I’ll realize the value of time and that day (hopefully) should be today itself, for as Portia said, “It is a good divine that follows his own instructions.”[Act1, Scene 2, Merchant of Venice]

16 comments:

  1. This is so good!
    It is so well written and it feels so right.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey tanushree gud start. Keep us update with ur gud thoughts and excel in this field. Nycc 😍😍

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍

    ReplyDelete
  5. 😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so beautiful, well done!
    Also it's so accurate it hurts omg

    ReplyDelete
  7. You did a great job!! This is really nice!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yaar I'm too lazy to read the entire thing but I can say that if you've written this. It'd definitely be par ✌

    ReplyDelete